The Syringe Driver: Continuous subcutaneous infusions in palliative care, 4th Edition
Oxford University Press
This Oxford University Press app-book, The Syringe Driver: Continuous subcutaneous infusions in palliative care, 4th Edition, improves your performance with relevant, valid material that you can access quickly and with minimum effort in the palm of your hand using Indextra's patented technology.
THIS APP-BOOK includes unique functions such as:
- A powerful search
- Complete set of medical calculators; Body Mass Index, Peak Expiratory Flows, Dehydration Correction Calculator and more
- High-resolution pictures
- Notes and picture-notes
About this title:
Highly Commended in the Medicine category of the British Medical Association Book Awards, 2017.
The syringe driver is a simple and cost-effective method of delivering a continuous subcutaneous infusion (CSCI). A CSCI provides a safe and effective way of drug administration and can be used to maintain symptom control in patients who are no longer able to take oral medication.
There have been several developments in this field since the third edition of this highly successful book. The text in this edition has been completely revised, incorporating new treatment options and an extensive list of new compatibility data.
This book serves as a valuable reference source, providing comprehensive review of syringe driver use and administration of drugs by CSCI. The first chapter provides an overview of syringe drivers and CSCIs, including a useful array of frequently asked questions. The second chapter provides information about the chemistry of drug incompatibility and degradation. The third chapter comprises revised and referenced information relating to most drugs likely to be administered by CSCI using a syringe driver. The fourth chapter discusses the control of specific symptoms that are often encountered when CSCIs are required. The fifth and final chapter contains an extensive, referenced list of compatibility and stability data relating to drug combinations administered by CSCI.
- Completely up to date with details on all new developments in this field
- The disciplines of pharmacy and medicine continue to complement each other, reinforcing the multi-professional approach that is now a recognized part of quality palliative care
- The only reference source that provides detailed compatibility data for drug combinations administered by CSCI
New to this edition:
- New chapter describing the pharmaceutical basis of compatibility and stability
- Redesigned compatibility tables, including new data and more detailed descriptions of laboratory data
- Revised drug information chapter, including the addition of three new monographs
Readership: Palliative care clinicians, both nursing and medical, in any hospice or palliative care service where CSCIs are used, and any medical professional who commonly or uncommonly interacts with, orders, or adjusts syringe drivers with drugs for CSCI, even if not for use in palliative care.
Authors: Andrew Dickman and Jennifer Schneider